Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Last Day at Vorzel

JoAnn and I headed out to the SDA to purchase a few souvenoirs. Here you can get everything you need to remember your visit to the Ukraine. There are two stands which give you a great price which are close to the ‘coffee urns’ near the top. One of the men is Bougdon and they are friends with Nadia, who works with Oleg. They will give you good prices and I got 30 of the nesting dolls and pins to use as fund raisers for my return trip. We grabbed taxi to Bucha and Vorzel. Once in Bucha we met up with Natasha, who translated for Yura who had many questions for JoAnn. One of the older boys was hungry as he did not like the food, so we took a walk to a market where I purchase rotisserie chickens, flat breads and drinks for the boys. I gave one boy who is working in construction the knee pads which I had brought along for Ruslan. He was so grateful and would not call me by ‘Sandie’ but by ‘Miss Sandie’, which shows you how respectful these children are!!!
Off to Vorzel via the bus we went. I was sad knowing that this would be my good byes to the children and the workers. I’m such a cry baby and knew it would be difficult for me.
While eating outside Groupa House 1, we met a business man and his wife who were bringing food for the children there. He explained that every time his business does well, he does something good for others. What a wonderful attitude, too bad that isn’t common in America. Think of all the good that could be done! We helped them unload the bananas, juice, oatmeal cookies and biscuits and showed them pictures of the children from that house. I asked if he would do me a favor and buy a blender for Do Teen Dat, a tiny Vietnamese child in the back with failure to thrive. He didn’t quite understand what I was so excitedly explaining, so I took him around the back and despite his protests that it would be too painful showed him the child. After a conversation with the care worker, he promised to help. We exchanged emails addresses and I am hoping he will sponsor the diapers for Vorzel. The children are allocated 2 diapers per day as the director is afraid that they will run out as they have NOONE to sponsor them. I know that meeting Nickoli was no coincidence; God once again was at work!

After they left, the care workers opened the door and invited us in for coffee and to visit with the children. After many rounds of Ring around the Rosie with Ivanna, Igor, Leeza and Sasha which we got on film, JoAnn left to say her good byes with Yura. Sasha and Olya arrived and we discussed plans to continue the ministry work I started. We would like to do training in October for the staff. But most importantly, would like to be able to hire a Teacher Associate to continue my Early Intervention with the children! They have people who would quit their current jobs and for $1000 USA, they would be willing to work full time in Vorzel. So PLEASE pray that somehow, the money can be raised! If anyone has any ideas, please contact me!!!!
After saying our tearful goodbyes to Sasha and Olya, I then said my good byes to the children. There was not a dry eye in the place! I promised the two care workers that I’d be back and that Leeza, Ivanna’s and Igor’s families would be there soon and will keep them updated on their adjustment to life with their families in America. That’s all they want: the reassurance that they will live a good life. These women love the children and have a bond with them. We must remember that when a child is adopted, a little piece of their heart goes with each child. Anything that you can bring the care workers, such as pictures of yourself, your home and a map of the USA indicating where they will be is treasured information for them, just as tidbits of information you get ahead of time on your child is priceless for you!
Over at Groupa 3, I said my good byes to Ruslan, whom I presented an Amercan Boys Rules tee shirt and videoed him saying ‘I go to America’ over and over again. The staff explained to him that a family was coming to get him and take him to a house with a mom and dad, brothers and sisters. He thanked me. (I cried.). He asked if the house had furniture (chair? bed? table? FOOD?) and cheered after I said ‘Da’ to each one! Unfortunately, I was not able to assure the staff that Timothy would also have a home but promised to try and find him one. So check him out under Other Angels on Reeces and I will update his blurb at a later time, or you can contact me via email, or phone for more information! (PLEASE?) He needs a home too soon!
Back at Groupa 5 I said quick good byes to Angelica, Masha, Anya, Katya, Sasha, Daniel…… the list goes on. My heart was in knots and I knew it would not be good to break down in front of the children so I left.
I ran back to Groupa 3, blew them kisses and told Ruslan “I see you in America” and he shouted back the same!
And I took the bus to the Metro pulling an empty red tote and a plastic bag of 24 ceiling tiles (2’ by 2’) which the construction workers removed from the ceiling in what will be the Early Intervention Therapy Room in Groupa 3. These will be used to raise funds to complete the room and hire the Associate Teacher! So look for your opportunity to OWN a little piece of Vorzel soon!!
Back at the room, we packed with a heavy heart, knowing that what we started will continue through the ministry of Almaz Church and that we will be back!!! And that the families are coming for their childen soon!
On Monday, Ana and Yurig, Ivanna's parents, took us to the airport. They were so happy that they had read that the Stratton's had received the approval for Ivanna and would be coming soon for her. Please pray for their strenght during this bittersweet time. I grew to love them and will hold a special place in my heart for them forever. They are the true heroes in Princess Ivanna's story, a Hallmark special!

1 comment:

  1. You are doing such a wonderful thing. I will pray for all of these children find a home soon.

    ReplyDelete