Thursday, June 17, 2010

Another very busy day at Vorzel

Today was another busy day at both Vorzel AND Bucha! We met Natasha at the Metro and took the ride via metro and bus. It hard to believe that last year we were so afraid and cautious as we navigated the rails and this year we are telling a native where to get the bus to both places. It's really quite easy, even for me who gets lost when you spin me in a circle! At the flea market in 'Sveeatocean' where you leave the metro and catch the bus, I brought a large red tote bag on wheels as my backpack and 'the world's largest fanny pack' were getting too heavy to carry. I am toting my laptop back and forth to show the careworkers the pictures of JoANN's girls in my Early Intervention Program, my daughter and her school Christmas pagent so they can undertand that these children lead productive lives in AMerica! I think they are finally getting it as today the head doctor (the one I was so scared of last year!) asked me to demonstrate my techniques tomorrow and train them. I think she wants me to set up a classroom tomorrow. I gave her the head doctor the donated walkers and she was so grateful. Both her and the head doctor from Groupa 5 accepted them and asked me how to use them. They remarked that they have NO access to equipment like this there! She sent me over to Groupa House 3 and 2 to assess the needs of some of the children! I broke down and cried tears of joy when I saw Ruslan who was NOT at the specialized therapy house. Nadia, our translator and I went to Groupa House 1, where we entered a back door, and were greeted by careworkers who asked for materials for three children. They are in great need of musical crib toys and a blender to prepare the food for a tiny little boy of Vietnamese descent who has failure to thrive. I demonstrated techniques for decreasing his spasticity. The careworker was so grateful and excited to learn that he was visually tracking and responding to her voice. We choose a simple suction cup toy for a highchair for another child who happily spun it over and over again. These children are so deprived of the stimulation that they so need, and the staff has been so receptive! I feel I am making a difference!

Meanwhile, JoAnn took her new son and two of his friends on a trip to the market where they brought soap, detergent, shampoo, sponges, kotex for the orphanage at Bucha. This is what they reqauested instead of balls! She did give him his own soccer ball and found out that he will be going to Italy for the summer (sort of like the Fresh Air Fund in America)! They also purchase fresh fruit and vegtables from the locals for the children. All of this had to be carted back on flat carts such as the kind you get at a lumber store. JoAnn had such a wonderful experience with Yura aqnd will see him tomorrow when she goes back to cut and style the hair of 9 girls graduating from the school. The children graduated after 11th grade , with some trade/skill and are sent out into the world, alone with no family. How alone that must be, no family and now you're on your own! Imagine turning your teenager out on the streets when they turn 18 like that!

JoAnn headed back to Vorzel, via the 'BOP 3' bus, and found herself called by the doctor in Groupa House 2 who was waiting for her to do her hair! I could not believe when I found her that she was all set up in 2 and had already done 3 cuts and getting ready to do the doctors hair when I walked in! I was surprised to meet up with Nadia and Oleg there too!! Pastor Sasha arrived and we had a great visit with the doctor who brought us back to meet Monroe! As I was measuring him for equipment needs, the doctor told me what he really needs is a family real soon. In six months he will be sent to an institution which is like death row. He will be restrained in a crib in a dark room and barely fed. At this point, she broke down in tears and begged me to find him a family. Please get your prayer warriors going for this beautiful little boy! I will update his profile also. Here again, I had caregivers posing with the children! I had the pleasure of seeing PEACH from across the room. She will be have surgery to repair the ventricle in the beginning of July. She looks wonderful but they are concerned she will get sick so she is 'protected' from the others! What a cutie!


Back at Groupa 3 I met with the speech therapist who would like me to assess Timothy and a few others this Saturday. Next week, Sasha's mission group will start tearing down and building a 'sensory room' for that house. He would like us to fund raise and provide materials if possible.

I was so busy all day going back an forth from one Groupa to the next and meeting with doctors and careworkers that I never met up with the psychologist, Dr. Yurig as planned. I just don't have enough time to do all that they need in the 5 Houses but will try my hardest. I need to stay longer!

The helmet I had does not fit Volva in Groupa 1. Does anyone have access to one? I will be gathering a list of requested items and will be posting them at a later date. Sasha and the Almaz Church are doing amazing things for the children at Vorzel. They are so committed to the orphanage and the children so please remember them and their mission in your prayers as they are truly Guardian Angels of these children!

We will be dining at Ivanna's house tomorrow night with her family which will be a wonderful opportunity for us to get to know them. It's after midnight here and we will be up at 5:30 to start the day again! We did not leave Vorzel until 8:00 tonight so we are putting in really long days. It's a good thing we did our site seeing last year because we have spent 10 hour days at the orphanage. Next time I will stay at the Vorzel Sanitorium which is only 32 dollars per night, including 3 meals and a five minute walk to the Groupa Houses!
Can anyone tell me how to get pics out of Kodak Easy Share and into blog?!!!!!I can't upload the pictures and videos!!!!SOS!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the picture, Sandie! We cannot wait to hear more. Did Ivan see the pictures yet? That is so sad to hear about Monroe, he is such a beautiful little boy, I wish that we could bring him back with us. I will put his picture up on my blog and facebook. Thank you for all of your hard work, what you are doing is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love to hear more about Vorzel, Nina's old home :)
    Ask Larry and Erin to teach how how to do pictures! They are just across the hall from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will pray for your mission, and for my baby girl. We had so hoped to get her to the US for her surgery but God will be there wherever it is performed.

    ReplyDelete