Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A chair for 'Jana'


I feel so blessed to have been able to accomplish so much at Vorzel. When I started this Mission Trip, I wanted to make a difference for the children. I look at my daughter Jillian, who is severely disabled, and know that if she had been born in the Ukraine, under the circumstances that exist there, my Jillian not only probably would not have survived but would definitely not be doing so many of the things that she is doing now!!

Proper therapies and equipment made all the difference by integrating her reflexes, decreasing her tone and providing the supports she needed to sit up, stand, walk and see!! She has intensive physical, occupational, and vision therapy as an infant, along with speech therapy and early intervention support. When she needed equipment, insurance paid for it, therapies were free! She got everything that she needed as she has me to advocate for her! The children living in the Ukraine are not as lucky. There is no early intervention, and noone to advocate for the children. Parents are left to themselves to try to find services for their children, and almost all are placed in Baby Houses. There they get little or no stimulation, therapies, etc. Some brave families do try to keep their children and turn to the local Baby Houses for support.

It was there in Groupa House 1 that I found Jana lying in a carriage listening to music. He is left there during the week, and taken home on the weekends. His babooska (grandmother) visits him daily. He is loved and wanted but his family does not know what to do with him and have no equipment for proper positioning/seating.

And this is how God works!

The previous week, Dave Daulton and his group from Virginia brought four chairs and a standing table with them on their Mission Trip! I had seen the chairs, stored and knew that the one was just right for Jana! I fitted Jana in the chair, showing the Doctor and staff how to adjust it for him, and was grateful to all the Physical Therapists who treated Jillian and those from work who took the time to teach me how to properly position a child in a chair. Despite the head support, Jana’s head fell forward and ‘Ina’ a wonderful care worker, untied a broad satin ribbon which we used as a head band to hold his head upright. Once positioned, Jana smiled and cooed the sweetest little sounds in response to my ‘sweet nothings’ which I whispered in his ears. I don’t know about the others, but my eyes were filled with tears of joy!!! I missed his Grandmothers visit, but she was so excited and asked if she could buy it!! So, we have to get a chair to him for her to transport him back and forth and use at home! If anyone has one, please email me. I am also taking donation to either purchase or pay for the shipping! I am hoping we can get it and send it with one of the families or mission groups heading over there this summer!

1 comment:

  1. Is there a specific type of chair to look for? Is there a brand or specific size? I know very little about them. We could take it with us in August, too.

    ReplyDelete