Wednesday, July 20, 2016

The Passion Of Sandie Flannery


I have been a Parishioner at Our Lady Queen of Peace Church for 29 years.  During that time I have grown in my Faith and have come to know and Love many here in our wonderful parish.  For those who know me, they are aware of my passion for Special Needs Children.  After receiving my Masters Degree in Early Childhood Special Education, I applied my studies by working with Colonial IU 20 which services many of the School Districts here in Pennsylvania assisting them with the Special Needs Children in their schools.  I spent my entire Career at CIU 20 and have just recently retired after 25 years.  I loved my career and the many children that filled my days and heart.

Approximately 6 years ago, I accompanied a friend and her husband to the Ukraine on their journey to adopt special needs children with Down Syndrome.  While there I had the opportunity to tour an Orphanage that housed special needs children.  It was then that I knew God’s plan for me.  From that time to the present I have made multiple trips back to the Ukraine in order to assist the Orphanage in the training of their staff and caring for the many “unwanted” special needs children there.  Many of these children have been brought to the orphanages at a very early age because of the expense and strain on the family to raise them.  I am not judging these families for what they have done.  However, the Ukrainian Orphanages do not get enough government assistance to provide the necessary care that is so desperately needed  in raising these children.  Many of these children, because of their disabilities are never adopted.

Over the past few years I have been sponsoring events (Tricky Tray) to raise money that is sent to the Orphanage in order to buy the bare necessities required in the caring of these children.  The money is used for items as basic as Diapers, but often is used for special equipment required in assisting the children.  In the up-coming months & years I will be launching new initiatives to support these special needs orphans.  I hope that you will join me in demonstrating to these children that they are loved and are truly God’s gift to us.  Your prayers & donations will help do this.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! It’'s a difficult time for Ukraine. Everyone has a chance to help children in Ukraine. Orphans will appreciate every bit of your attention. Visit our web site, please! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete